Guide to take advantage of natural light in the social spaces of your house
Natural light is one of the most important organic elements when it comes to projecting the architecture and interior design of a home. In this sense, a natural light in the social spaces well channeled and distributed it brings benefits that directly affect the quality of life of the occupants, and in one of the most important vital uses of a home: in the social/family relationships that are established within the walls of any home.
Thus, natural light is the most important organic paint bath in a home that enhances not only the aesthetics, but also the vital functions and the moods of the occupants, which translates into a support to strengthen relational union bonds .
In natural light, like any organic factor, dynamism is the key to its essence. Therefore, it is necessary a previous study of the light based on the hours of light or the disposition of the house, among other factors.
In short, natural light is an element that we must know well in order to maximize its benefits. These are translated into a better quality of life… and that we believe is one of the main objectives of architecture and interior design. Or at least that is how we conceive it in the projects of Coblonal Interiorismo .
Here are some keys to take advantage of natural light in the social spaces of any home.
Benefits of natural light in the social spaces of a home
- Natural light is able to improve moods, productivity and even health.
- Well taken advantage of, it helps to reduce the electricity bill, since social spaces are where you spend the most time.
- Help distribute and expand the space by offering a natural flow of light that vertebrates it.
- Power colors and aesthetic strategy, textures, volumes … etc.
- It serves the functional needs of the home to provide different uses.
- Natural light in social and private spaces communicates, transmits and produces an effect on our emotions.
- Natural light in the social spaces is a support for the decorative and interior strategy, because if, for example, there is good natural light in the living room, the range of colors is simplified towards clarity.
What are the social spaces in a house?
The conception of the functional and spatial distribution in the house evolves with the vital rhythm, and for this reason the spaces open to the interconnection: the kitchen joins the living room and the dining room.
The walls are demolished and the vital relationships are reinforced by maximizing the social zones of the house. But, … What are the social spaces of a home? Having this premise as the basis, less the bedroom and bathroom, any other room is likely to host a social meeting: living room, dining room, kitchen and even the office.
With the new multifunctional use of the open rooms, a natural lighting strategy that adapts to this new concept is also necessary.
Study of light
If the dimensions of a home are studied to plan the furniture … Why is not the same thing done with natural light?
To obtain a good lighting project it is advisable to study both the space as well as natural light and above all, natural light in social spaces.
- What social uses are you going to give to space? Am I going to use it as a social center for dinners or meals? Or maybe to work and hold meetings?
- What environment or environments would you like to reproduce?
- How do you need to feel?
- What are the hours of natural light? Where does the light come from and what is its radius of action over the hours? It is essential to take into account the orientation of the home with respect to the solar route and, in this way, the different light inputs that occur during the day and its variation during the different seasons of the year. In general terms, the southern and western slopes are the most common for locating the day zone and the north and west for the night zone.
- Equally important is knowing the uses of the home. At what time do you usually get more at home? Do we prioritize day to day or weekend?
Therefore, these are some of the questions that will help you define your lighting objectives.
ABC of natural light in the social spaces
- Neutral colors in furniture, walls and fabrics.
- Mirrors everywhere.
- Curtains with natural and vaporous fabrics.
- Window + mirror.
- Crystal Table.
- Clear natural light entries in social spaces to circulate.
- It is advisable to avoid dark, bulky furniture and ornate walls.
- If we can open a skylight, do we do it? Yes, please.
- Study the hours of light in the room and where it affects to enhance these points will make your home a real natural solarium.
- Sliding doors to open or close them according to natural light and uses.
- Lighting should take into account the synergy of natural and artificial light. Both should act in sync to get the best out of each other.
- Open large windows taking into account the directionality and change of light throughout the day, on the other hand this helps energy savings in winter by taking advantage of solar heat.
- Reflective surfaces are an excellent way to maximize natural light.
- Place a mirror in front of a window.
- Glass doors help the passage of light between rooms.
As you can see, there are a large number of strategies to take advantage of the natural light of social spaces, and make them the perfect place to strengthen the ties of relationships with the support of architecture and interior design.